Some colleges are offering free waivers to attend out of state college tours. Yes, that’s right! Here is a list of colleges that will pay the travel cost to come visit their school or pay at least part of it. http://getmetocollege.org/hs/2011-diversity-fly-in-list
While this is a great offer, parents and students need to act fast to take advantage of this awesome opportunity! Some of the deadlines have passed, but many deadlines haven’t just yet. Here are the opportunities that haven’t passed yet:
1. Carnegie Mellon University
Program: Celebration of Diversity Weekend, Nov 12-14
- Registration Deadline is Oct 27.
- Requirements: have at least a 3.3 GPA on an unweighted 4.0 scale and at least a combined SAT score of 1700 or ACT score of 25.
- Registration will be available online mid Sept: http://www.cmu.edu/enrollment/admission/cod/register.html
- Note: There is a fee of $50 when registering. If you believe you qualify for a fee waiver, contact the admissions office and ask to speak to the event’s coordinator: (412) 268-2082
- Students with financial need: You may qualify for travel assistance, if you meet the requirements. Please indicate your need for travel assistance when registering.
- Visit http://www.cmu.edu/enrollment/admission/cod/travel.html for further conditions for receiving travel assistance.
- Contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions or visit http://www.cmu.edu/enrollment/admission/cod/index.html
2. Gustavus Adolpus
St. Peter, MN
Program: Fly-in Program. December 4-6, February 12-14, and March 25-27
- Applications Deadlines: November 1 for December, January 15 for February, and March 1 for March.
- Application: http://admission.gustavus.edu/activecampus/admin/ckfinder/userfiles/files/Fly%20in%20program%202011%20application%281%29.pdf
3. Kenyon College
Program: Cultural Connections, November 12-14 or December 4-5
- Deadline: register 2 weeks prior to event.
- Register ASAP. Space is limited.
- To register, call 800 848 2468 (ask for Kim Totman)
- Also, check out Kenyon’s Trustee Opportunity Travel grant for Travel aid: http://www.kenyon.edu/x1697.xml
- Also a visit day for Juniors. Visit Day for Juniors – Saturday, March 24, 2012
4. Oberlin College and Conservatory
Program: Multicultural Visit Program, Oct 6-8, Nov 10-12, & Dec 1-3 (SAT date)
- Must be a student of color, interested in a liberal arts Education
- Application is due
Sept 9 for Oct dates
Oct 14 for Nov dates
Nov 4 for Dec dates
- Completed and signed Counselor Form
- High School Transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- SAT / ACT / PSAT Scores
- Statement of Financial Responsibility
- The application consists of multiple parts:
- The application form, which can be found here: https://hera.cc.oberlin.edu/coladm/mvp/app.html
- For more information, visit https://hera.cc.oberlin.edu/coladm/registration/mvp.php
or contact 800-622-OBIE (6243) 8:30am – 5pm EST or email@example.com
5. Washington & Lee University
Program: Multicultural Recruitment Events: October 9-11, November 10-12 and January 15-17.
- Seniors must submit final junior year transcript, senior year schedule and SAT or ACT scores (all can be unofficial) to Erin Hutchinson for consideration.
- Information can be faxed to 540-458-8062 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fly-ins only available for groups of minority, low-income students, not individuals.